Nottingham Lions roared back to winning ways last Saturday to beat Coventry Blaze in their own barn and maintain their position on the top of the Laidler Conference.

Missing Elliot Cox, Joe Gretton and Max Bennett, Kieran Raynor had to borrow his skates from Coach Simon Hopkins. Lions started with Tom Hovell in nets with Samantha Bolwell as Back up. Graham Laverick tending the Blaze goal.

It took just over a minute for referee, Paul Brooks to award the first penalty. It went against Coventry’s Chris Bryniarski for interference. Thirty seconds after he returned to the ice, and it was Lions turn short-handed, Kieran Raynor harshly adjudged to have used his elbow.

In the tenth minute Lions captain Luke Thomas wrist shot found its way through traffic in front of the Blaze net, for Nottingham’s first goal of the evening. Assists credited to Connor Glossop and Ben Wood.

Just after seventeen minutes, Rob Perks was given a two plus ten penalty for checking to the head. Over a minute later, Thomas and Louis Brindle both shared slashing penalties.

Thirty seconds from the end of the first period, Blaze captain took a dislike to Joe Humphries, grabbing him by the helmet and swinging him to the ice. When the dust had settled, Dale Buckland received multiple penalties, two plus two roughing and two plus ten face mask violation.

One minute twenty two into the second, Elliot Perrin squeezed in Lions second goal from the point, with the help of Glossop and Adam Andrews.

The Lions shut out was broken just after the half way mark, Jake Larkin feeding Matthew Maurice in front of goal to beat Tom Hovell from the slot.

Kieran Raynor and Connor Keyes shared roughing minors plus two minutes more for Unsportsmanlike and Interference respectively. The rest of the second period ended without incident with Lions leading 2-1.

Nearly three minutes into the final third saw Raynor sent to the bin for interference. On the fifty minute mark, Cameron Pywell was on hand to score his first senior goal and Lions third, latching onto some nice interpassing from from Ondrej Pniok and Sam Jackson.

Blaze were unable to even think of withdrawing their netminder, when Jordan Stokes was penalised for hooking with a minute and a half left in the game.

This result means Lions stay two points ahead of second place Deeside Dragons who kept up their challenge with a 3-2 home victory over Widnes Wild.

Lions are back on home ice this Sunday as they face Hull Jets at the National Ice Centre, face off is 7.30pm.


Friday, 13 November 2015.